11/30/2010

Tomato Soup Recipe

I made Jamie Oliver's Spicy Tomato Soup the other day. I'm not a fan of tomato soup myself, so I thought I'd try a spicy one to make it more appealing to me.

Here's the recipe as it's posted on Jamie's site (yes, we're on first name terms):

  • Serves: 4-6
  • Prep time: 10 mins
  • Cooking time: 20 mins
  • Total time: 30 mins
  • Skill level: Easy peasy
  • Costs: Cheap as chips
  • Spice level: Mild
  • Child friendly
  • Freezable

Ingredients

  • 1 jar of tomato and chilli pasta sauce
  • 1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
  • 1 clove of garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
  • 1 carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
  • A bunch of fresh coriander; leaves picked, stalks finely chopped
  • Olive oil
  • 750g ripe tomatoes
  • 1 ltr chicken or vegetable stock
  • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 4tbsp crème fraiche

Method

Put your onion, garlic, carrot and coriander stalks into a large pot with a couple of lugs of olive oil. Cover and cook gently for 10 mins, stirring regularly to prevent colouring.


Meanwhile, drop the tomatoes into boiling water for a minute or two. Take them out, run them under the cold tap, then pinch the skins off, discard, and roughly chop the flesh. 

Add to the pan with the stick and the jar of tomato and chilli pasta sauce. Simmer for another 20 mins with the lid on.

Whizz your soup in a blender, then pour it back in the pan and season well. Serve with a good spoonful of crème fraiche in each bowl, a sprinkling of coriander leaves and a few chopped chillies if you dare!

I have to tell you - the boys loved it, but I couldn't bring myself to even taste it. Something about tomato soup...

How weird is that? I love spicy things, and so thought that spicing my tomato soup up might make me like it.

The verdict, which comes solely from the Builder and Big Brother, is that it was a definite winner. I will be making it again, but only cos they loved it.

5 comments:

  1. Looks great! I'm not a big tomato soup fan, but my husband is. Thanks for sharing!

    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I could almost taste this! Mmm!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're having it again today... Oh hubbie's orders! As I said, it really isn't my cup o' tea, but he loves it.
    Thanks Elizabeth - maybe one day you will!;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful! Looks yummy too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't like tomato soup either :)! I love salsa, I love spaghetti sauce, but I don't eat sliced tomatoes, and I don't eat tomato soup. Bleck! But I bet it smelled really good while it was cooking :)!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails