7/12/2012

Girdle Scones

I thought of making Sconaichean Greideil (Girdle Scones, to the non-Gaelic speakers. And Griddle Scones, to the poor, deprived non-Scots among you) the other day because I had milk that was going off. 


Well, actually, it had gone off, but I don't want to gross you city folks out. And I don't want to food police on my back either.


The 'off' milk reminded me of the older lady who lived next door to us when I was growing up. (I do, of course, us the phrase 'growing up' in the loosest possible sense of the phrase: it simply means adding more months and years to a person's young life.) And the milk didn't, in and of itself, remind me of  my next door neighbour. Rather, it reminded me that every time I walked into her kitchen - or so it seems in my memory - she was making girdle scones and the milk she used was milk that had gone off. Bainne goirt.


Anyway. Scones.


8 oz ( 225g) Self Raising flour
pinch of salt
2 oz (50g) caster sugar
2 oz (50g) butter
1 egg, beaten
3-4 tblsp (45-60ml) milk.


Now, I have made a couple of batches of scones, and used two different recipes, but this is the one I used yesterday.


Before you begin the baking, preheat the griddle. Low and slow is my motto here. Low heat, longer time.


Mix flour and salt. Rub the butter into the dry ingredients, and add the sugar.


Mix (I did the mixing with a fork) the beaten egg and milk into the flour mixture to form a dough.


Turn the dough out onto a floured surface,


and pat into a round shape.

Cut into quarters, 

and cook on the griddle


until browned on both sides.


Then enjoy one with loads of melting butter.

And maybe another with butter and cheddar cheese.

And maybe another with Raspberry jam.

Of course, these are alternative suggestions. I'm not suggesting you try all these three combinations.

Dearie me! Of course I wouldn't suggest that, but if you were to try them all, accompanied by lots of hot tea, I reckon you would love it.

And remember, I'm just sayin'. Not suggesting.... just sayin'.


13 comments:

  1. Looks like they are a cross between pancakes and biscuits. I'll have to try those! Don't worry, you didn't gross me out with the old milk. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, that's because I have the right kind of people reading my blog!
      A x

      Delete
  2. Yum...thanks for sharing!
    And yes....even with the old milk....I would eat 2. One for each hip...and I would most certainly leave my "girdle" at home. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clearly Lewis women didn't have any other use for the word 'girdle', other than a good, heavy pan!

      Delete
  3. They look awesome Anne. Wish I were closer....tha cianalas tighinn orm! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An ath thuras a thig thu dhachaigh, bidh iad agam deiseil dhut ;)

      Delete
  4. I am a deprived non-Scot! After enjoying out annual (last ten years) 18 day stay in Scotland, I'm ready to bake or cook anything that soothes my lonely (for Scotland) heart. Caster sugar? Define please. These scones will be on our plates today along with a cup of Scottish tea. Yes, I brought back 640 tea bags of Scottish tea. I like my tea strong. The same tea bought here in the US at an international grocer would cost $80 dollars instead of 12 pounds. We arrived home to weather that was 106F degrees. We miss 63 F high, ever changing Scottish weather. Always enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bonnie (good Scottish sounding name!)
      Where do you stay when you come to Scotland? You come as frequently as we'd *like* to go to the US, but .... ;)
      Caster sugar is finer than granulated. I believe it's called something like superfine sugar.... but it's *not* the *super* superfine(!), which we call icing sugar - I think you call it 'powdered'.
      Confused? .... You will be!
      Yes, you could substitute granulated, I reckon...

      Love that you take all that tea back with you. I certainly would too :)

      But as for the temps.... I'll take yours, thank you. Oh, hang on - just realized what yours are.... maybe not, but a nice average of yours and ours would be nice ;)
      A x

      Delete
    2. They look similar to the scones my grandmother made only maybe less golden color and more brownish. Do you grease the griddle?Do you cook them low the whole time? These are the best type of scone..can't find them in the U.S. My grandma used buttermilk and I think regular sugar. Thank you!

      Delete
    3. Hi,
      These ones I made are browner than I'd have liked - the griddle was a bit warmer than it ought to have been, I'm guessing.
      Yes, cook them on low the whole time. Buttermilk - yep, that's perfect in them, and I'd have used that except that I had the milk that was going 'off' ;).
      And as for sugar, I'm quite sure it was regular sugar the oldies would always have used, so that would be absolutely fine :)
      Happy scone making! And *very* happy scone eating!

      Delete
  5. hmmm...may have to try these, thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it when you write the Gaelic, but I haven't a clue how it might be pronounced. You (or one of your lovely family) need to post a tutorial on basic Gaelic!

    Have to try these scones, but will need to find some Scottish tea to go with them. Who knew there was Scottish tea? What type does your family prefer?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hiya, an old favourite for this old Glaswegian. I lived out in Lewis for a number of years and you know what I miss most apart from the company and so on. Corncropick, my apologies I never saw it written but that's how it sounded. The heads of cod (or related fish) dusted with flour on the inside then stuffed with the fish's livers (after removing the membrane) mixed with pinhead oatmeal, salt, pepper and finely chopped onion. Put in a pan and covered with water and boiled. You drank the 'brae' or cooking juice as it is called. A feast. I hope I remember the recipe correctly. (thecree@yahoo.co.uk if you can confirm). Enjoyed your post and I'll be having some over the weekend. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails