8/13/2010

Day 6 and some thoughts

This morning, I was reading Psalm 104, and was struck by this psalm.


David is speaking of the Creator of heaven and earth, and not only the Creator of all things, but the Sustainer too. There is not an area of this creation that is not ruled over and sustained by our God. The sky and the sea; the mountains and the valleys; the springs of water and the grass; the cattle and the wild animals; the trees and the fruit of them; the birds and the sea monsters; the tides and the seasons. No wonder David declares, "O Lord, how manifold are Thy works. In wisdom Thou hast made them all" (v24). And then, little wonder that he sings, "I will sing unto the Lord as long as I live; I will sing praise to my God while I have my being. My meditation of Him shall be sweet; I will be glad in the Lord." (vv33, 34)


As Catechism 11 puts it:
God's works of providence are, His most holy, wise and powerful preserving and governing all His creatures and all their actions.


He created the world and His power is as necessary to maintain the world as it was to create it. 'In Him we live, and move, and have our being' (Acts 17: 28). And it's true that being surrounded by His amazing creation certainly gives us thoughts of our great God. How good it is if our meditation of Him is sweet, as David's was. 


Although the plot, and my love of it, often becomes a joke here, there is no doubt that the wonder of God's creation is so evident there. 


Look at this Romanesco:

See the detailed swirls

What beauty God has given us in His world

Here is part of our plot just now

Some Calabrese in 'the cage'.

Calabrese is very similar to broccoli but it has side shoots which keep growing when you cut the centre part, and so it's got a long season of usefulness

Some onions and parsnips

Everything is so much slower this year because of the unusually cool summer we've had

And it wouldn't be a vegetable plot without evidence of the fall too.

You know, when God supplies our dinner table night after night with blessings from our plot, it really is a cause of such thanksgiving.

And so to tonight's dinner. (You may notice a bit of a vegetable theme over the week! That is, of course, because of what God has supplied us with)

Stir-fry and Rice

Carrots, calabrese, garlic cloves, red onion, and chicken (marinading with some chilli powder for a while)
And our dinner

So, there you go. Only tomorrow evening, and I suspect that'll be easy fare.  It's Saturday!




3 comments:

  1. This reminds me (which I sometimes need the reminder) that He sustains us too. I love your plot. It is a plot to envy (I know we are not supposed to be envious... but I can't help it); I did not get my garden planted this year because way too much going on, but now I feel like a barren woman. Farmers market will have to suffice for now. Your veggies are indeed beautiful. I love the Lords amazing designs they stir up my heart. Happy eating and many blessings
    Love Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know these are old posts, but I love to see your garden. You mentioned it was a plot of some sort. Is it in a community plot area? What are the little walls used for? Ah, the veggies you fix look amazing. I could eat a lot of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rachel,
    No, it's not a community plot.... just our own (though I sometimes think our family eats enough for a whole family!).
    The 'walls' are for some protection from the wind primarily. To be honest, part of our plot looks like Fort Knox! We have an outer fence - for the rabbits, and the wind; inside, we have rows of fencing with a fine netting used for windbreak. And the brassicas shown above are in a 'cage' - windbreaks, and the cage is covered with netting to protect from egg-laying butterflies.... ie catterpillars Grrrrrr!
    Thanks for asking x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails