8/09/2011

Today's Harvest...

This sunset is from the other night. 


Apparently there was an Aurora, and although it was too bright for us to see its full impact, the colours in the sunset were certainly intensified.


As always, the photos do not do the colours justice at all, but suffice to say, it was beautiful to look at.

Can you see how the sun is setting further away from the Eye of the Butt? Only a month or so ago, the sun set towards the right hand side of this photo.

Anyway, to the plot...


 I went out today to do some weeding and came back with these! There are Duke of York Reds (new potatoes) and Accord potatoes in the basket. The brocolli is Calabrese. This means that a centre floret grows, and many, many side shoots with smaller florets. The sooner the centre stem is cut, the more opportunity is given to the side shoots.

Here's a centre floret which hasn't been cut yet. It'll grow slightly larger than this so I'll leave it for another week or so.

 This photo isn't too clear, but you may be able to see some of the smaller side florets in amongst all the foliage.


 See the centre cauliflower? It's begun to split: I probably ought to have harvested it a few days ago. The cauliflower is okay to eat, but it doesn't look as nice as the others.

You remember the turnip a few weeks ago....


This was them when we'd just thinned them.


See the difference! The Builder covered them this year with netting to stop the butterflies laying their eggs on the leaves. Last year, the turnip leaves were decimated by caterpillars. Pesky butterflies!

Hopefully, very soon we'll have some of the baby carrots taken from the thinnings. They are always so tasty, and I can't wait to have them. Also our courgettes (zucchini for you Americans!) are growing like mad! I made another huge pan of soup today with them, and that'll go in the freezer for later in the year.

It seems like only a couple of weeks since we were slogging to get the seedlings planted. I don't remember the brassicas being ready this early in the past years, but now I'm wishing I'd been organised enough to have other seedlings to plant right now. Hopefully, I'll learn from this year, and be 'on the ball' next year.

I can't tell y'all what a blessing it is to be harvesting these vegetables. I really do feel like they are special, God-given gifts. I pray I would be truly thankful for them, and never take them for granted.






13 comments:

  1. Nice to see you getting thse wonderful vegetables from your garden. We have been getting quite a bit as well. It always tastes better than what you might buy in the store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your brocolli and cauliflower are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow just beautiful, your garden is just lovely and what a harvest. The sunset is just beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful sunset, beautiful goods from your garden! i think i must have missed the butt blog..i've noticed it twice now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful sunset and a beautiful harvest - both are incredible gifts from our Maker. I spoke to my mum last week, she tells me her sister is heading up to Lewis again to visit her daughter.
    Thinking of home today as I read about all these terrible riots in London and other places which are so familiar to me - even Enfield where I used to live. You are very blessed to live in such a beautiful and safe island haven.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely sunset. The broccoli and cauliflower look delish -- very envious! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful harvest! We get lots of bugs in the Spring, and only a short time in the Fall to try to grow such lovely veggies. I think you've got that one over on us in the US!

    ReplyDelete
  8. your garden looks great, all those fresh veggies- yum!
    We need to get into our veggie patch as spring gets near, we have been a bit slack lately with our building going on, too hard to fit everything in!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your veggies, they're so pretty. We are beginning to harvest some of ours now... especially the Zucchini (what did you call them? Corgettes?) Around here they have a saying ; "When you go to town, be sure to lock your car... if you don't someone is likely to leave Zucchini in it." Ah ha well, I guess you had to be there. But the point is Zucchini is a sure thing around here, and there is always an abundance. My Mom made a great Zucchini bisque soup when we were visiting... I think I night try it. I like your idea of freezing it in soup.. good way to use it.

    We are still behind you on the rest of our veggies. Hoping to post some pretty pictures of them as they come in.

    Congratulations on 20 years. Loved the previous post with all the lovely pictures. What a beautiful family.

    Been reading about those London Riots as well.. so disturbing. I agree with Ann, it is nice to think of you all safe and cozy on your Island.

    Much Love,
    Pam
    P

    ReplyDelete
  10. God's blessings pour down to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, those sun pictures are breathtaking!!! What a beautiful sight to behold. Looks like a wonderful bounty from your garden, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love seeing all the photos of your veggies. I'm anxiously waiting for my zucchini/courgettes to get big enough to eat! My new potatoes came from the grocery store today, but were grown about 60 km from here. I can't wait to "glean" in the potato fields after the harvesters have been through.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh your harvest is beautiful and gives me hope for next spring! Mine burned up with the hot temps and drought we've endured this summer. Your husband is so smart regarding the netting over the veggies...I must remember this.
    Blessings, Julie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails