8/04/2011

Marriage with a Difference

Twenty-five years ago this week, I entered into marriage.


No, not with the Builder, but into a marriage even more life-changing and more permanent than my marriage with him.


Twenty-five years ago I was saved, and entered into union with Christ: an unbreakable, eternal union. The amazing thing about this union is that the Bridegroom had everything to offer, and I had nothing. In fact, I had less than nothing.


He, from all eternity, had entered into a covenant with the Father, and the terms of this covenant meant that He would come in the flesh, live a righteous life, and die the cursed death of the cross. For me. And for all who put their trust in Him. 


We say, 'What's yours is mine, and what's mine is yours', but can you imagine what that means in this marriage?


He has His perfect righteousness that He bestows on us in our union with Him.


We can only bring our sin and our shame. Yet, He takes all that sin and shame to Himself, and makes the exchange gladly. What a Saviour! Truly we can say, 

"Nothing in my hand I bring, 
simply to the Cross I cling".


In these years since He 'took me from a fearful pit, and from the miry clay; and set my feet on a Rock, and put a new song in my mouth' (Psalm 40), He has proved Himself to be the perfect Husband. He has infinite love, infinite patience, and is faithful in all ways.


I wish I could say that, in these years, I have loved Him with all my heart and soul as I ought; and that I have been totally faithful in all my ways. But I cannot. 


But that's what is so amazing about grace. We fail; He restores. We fall; He uplifts. We sin; He covers us with His own righteousness.


If I live another 25 years, my prayer is that I would grow in love to Him, who is 'altogether lovely'; that I would be more faithful to Him who is 'faithful to the end'.


If you do not know Christ Jesus as your own saviour, may I recommend you seek Him with your whole heart. There is not one person who has put their trust in Him who would not commend Him as the best Friend you could wish for, the greatest Master you could hope to serve, and the only way of eternal security.


Unlike our earthly husbands, this One we wish to share with as many as possible. With the woman of Samaria, we wish to say, 'Come see a man who told me all things that ever I did. Is this not the Christ'. (John 4)


Come to Him. And rest totally in Him. You will find rest for your soul.



16 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post and so nicely said! Praying many will seek Him after reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful picture of what our marriage with Him is like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A truly beautiful post my Sister in Christ. And a perfect analogy. I too brought Him nothing, and still, my righteousness is as filthy rags. He is my Redeemer. My Lord and My God. Though I have failed Him so many times, He loves my anyway. Beautiful, beautiful way to begin the morning, with these thoughts of Him on my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praise God! Rejoicing with you! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Incredible, beautiful post... you are so skilled at putting thoughts into words. Happy anniversary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So incredible to think of it that way. It is true. So true, and where would I have been if I had said No as he wooed me and gave His life for me. That is love indeed.
    I think 25 years is just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's true and good to remember. Thank you, Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow loved this so much and I love, "Nothing in my hand I bring,
    simply to the Cross I cling".

    Love
    ~Marie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mrs. Rhonda Henrich5 August 2011 at 12:00

    Beautiful post! Thank you for this lovely illustration of the relationship we have, or can have, with Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That post was just beautiful. What an awesome marriage to have. My marriage with the Lord started in May of 85. So thankful to be able to have this relationship with Jesus! Thank you for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful, marriage is a amazing thing, one of the prettiest things God created. Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fantastic anniversary to remember!! God's Grace is indeed sufficient for all~ I enjoyed your post thanks for sharing your Anniversary with us ~But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. 2Corinthians 12:9 Have a great week ~Love Heather

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for this. Such a blessing to read.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing! I would love to email-visit or even Skype to get to know you all better and learn about your extraordinary faith. We are Christ followers with passports and a passion for Europe. We lived in Italy for a little bit as missionaries but had visa issues and had to come back to the states. We're now planning a trip to the UK in November but I don't think it will work to get all the way up to Lewis. Feel free to read my wife's blog at www.UnleavenedBreadCrunchers.Blogspot.com and mine is www.KillingBugs4Christ.Blogspot.com

    We also homeschool our 16 yo daughter and 8 yo son so it's fun to follow your posts. Wish I was able to be so regular! LOL

    Hope to hear from you soon, Randall & Sherry

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails