9/11/2010

Oatcakes

We love oatcakes in this house.


Here's the recipe I use now. It's the nicest recipe of the ones I have, but there are a couple of older ladies in our church who make oatcakes that are simply out of this world. I would love to get a hold of their recipe, and I might just sneak into their kitchens one time and do a bit of thieving.


Watch this space!


Oatcakes


6 oz marg
2 oz light brown sugar
1 egg
10 oz oatmeal
6 oz self-raising flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda


Beat butter, sugar and egg.


Add flour, bicarbonate and salt along with the oatmeal. Mix.


Roll out on oatmeal.


Cut into rounds or squares and place on baking tray.


Bake at 170 C for 20 mins.




If you roll it out on oatmeal rather than flour, it gives the oatcakes a lovely 'oatmealy' crunchiness.




I normally cut rounds, but then with what's left after a couple of bringing togethers, I cut in squares, simply because it reduces waste.

Ready for the oven. Notice I also sprinkle oatmeal on the baking tray.

Here are some of them done. I doubled the recipe today. And I made it twice, so we have lots and lots of oatcakes.

We had got fresh mackerel from my brother in law, so Catherine made lunch for us and stole some oatcakes to have with it.

I have to say....It was yummy!

9 comments:

  1. My children, Ben and Anna, were thrilled that you posted this recipe! They love to read Scottish History especially on the Covenanters. We might be making these oatcakes here in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia soon! Thanks so much!

    Leslie
    (Anna's Momma)

    PS I hope you can get into those kitchens,too. If you do, post the recipes on here, ok?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be Oatcake week, because I noticed Kirsteen posted about oakcakes also; and now my mouth is watering. I might even go downstairs when I am done here and make up a batch. I loved the picture that showed them in surplus. Such a delightful thing to see. Catherine's lunch looked yummy too. Thanks for the recipe.
    Much love,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delicious. I take it they are to go with dinner. I've never tried anything like that to accompany a meal - I shall have to give it a go!
    Thanks for the recipe!
    Have a great day
    Renata:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just over at Kirsteen's blog reading her Oatcake recipe! Both are slightly different and both look DELICIOUS! I had just purchased oatmeal today at the store, I think I am going to make them! I bet they would be really tasty with a hot cup of tea! I can't wait! :)

    P.S. I just wanted to give you a heads up that I had posted some baby pictures on my blog, but in a few of them there is a you know what. I am so sorry! I didn't do it on purpose and the pictures were just too cute to not post! I hope it won't prevent you from looking. :)

    Much love Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anne, My mouth is watering and now drooling over these yummy oak cakes. I just love how they look and the recipe sounds super easy. Thanks os much for the lovely family recipe. I will definitely have to make this really SOON!!

    LOVE
    ~Marie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Renata - although they were served with the mackerel on Saturday, and you can definitely serve them with fish - I normally have them with butter and cheese with a cup of tea. Yum.

    Leslie.....the Shenandoah Valley.....Virginia... WHAT are you trying to do to us??!! >:[
    (you will excuse the 'face' after my exclamation marks....Catherine thought it was appropriate. I haven't a clue what it means!)

    Love, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your "oatmeal" looks like our "oat flour" or ground up oats or something. These look delicious. When I'm feeling better I might make these for my kids and myself for breakfast. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are in the oven just now!! I wonder why the butter curled on me, any ideas?

    Do they store well in an airtight tin? Is that how you store them?

    ReplyDelete
  9. A few decades ago I was blessed to travel to Scotland and stay with friends twice. I found I could happily die eating scones, oatcakes, and haggis. Thanks for sharing your recipes! im4x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails