8/20/2011

Cherry Franzipan Recipe

Cherry Franzipan




Shortcrust Pastry


I have two alternatives for the pastry. Here's Option 1:


6oz (175g) plain flour
3oz (75g) soft butter/marg
1 oz (25g) caster sugar
1 egg


Mix all ingredients together with a fork to form a firm dough.
Knead slightly, roll out and use to line an 8" flan ring.


Here's Option 2:


Ever since I discovered Option 2 a couple of months ago, I go for this option. Every time.


Filling:

4 oz (100g) margarine
4 oz (100g) caster sugar
3 oz (75g) semolina
1 egg
2 oz (50g) cherries
4 oz (100g) marzipan
3 oz (75g) raisins
icing sugar for dusting


Method:
1. Beat margarine, sugar, semolina and egg together until smooth and creamy.
2. Chop cherries and marzipan and add, with raisins, to mixture.
3. Spread mixture into prepared pastry case.
4. Bake in a pre-heated oven 180C/350F/Gas 4 for 35-40 mins
5. Sprinkle with icing sugar when cold, and cut into wedges.




I make four of them together because the cooker will easily take them, and because Margaret Thatcher once told me that she always filled her oven when she had it heated up.


I have to tell y'all this. I don't like cherries. I'm not too struck on marzipan. I don't like baked fruit. 


Yet I love franzipan. Go figure!







7 comments:

  1. Never had it but that looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Option#2 sounds like the way to go! Being a Yank, I had to look up semolina (pasta flour) and caster sugar (superfine sugar), and being a dunce, I didn't know what marzipan was, either. All together, though, I'll bet it makes for a really terrific dessert. Do you top it with whipped cream or ice cream?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh those look wonderful I think me and the franzipan could be real good friends hehehe What a wonderful quote to fill the oven when heated...I bet those wonderful desserts won't last long!! thanks for sharing Love Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds delicious!! I can't imagine that I've had anything that would taste similar. It's definitely smart to go ahead and make a large quantity of them. Wish I could pop over for a taste! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love cherries, I love marzipan, never seen this though, not sure that I could get off with making it though, as at least two in the family don't like marzipan or cherries, reeeeeally don't like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny, I *really* don't like cherries or baked fruit either, and am not too keen on marzipan. Strange to love this franzipan...

    We normally have it with a cuppa, not as dessert, but I guess it would work as dessert too :)
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  7. These sound yummy! I had to read this carefully as at first I read it as frangipani - which is a highly scented flower from the tropics, but I've never heard of someone eating it before! Glad I cleared that up!
    Do you use fresh cherries for this - or the glace?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails