10/16/2010

A Handy Recipe

Roast Chicken Thighs and Roasted Vegetables

I like the flavours of this dish, but I love that I can prepare it beforehand, and then just chuck it into the oven and do nothing until it's ready to come out.

I normally marinade the veg in some olive oil, black pepper and garlic.

Sometimes I use herbs. It all depends what I have in, or what I feel like.


In the roasting dish (above), along with the chicken thighs, I have peppers, red onions, carrots, tomatoes and new potatoes. I par boiled the potatoes. I'd recommend this. Sprinkled on the top I have sprigs of thyme.

Underneath the skin of the chicken thighs, I have a blob of cream cheese with garlic and herbs. It's worth it.


I normally have creamed potatoes with it too, and one of the best discoveries I've ever made is that you can cook and cream potatoes ahead of time, and reheat them. They are delicious. Cream the potatoes with plenty butter and milk/cream. When you've spooned the creamy potatoes into an oven-proof dish, brush the top with egg and milk. This can be cooled and refrigerated for up to 24 hours. They take about 25 minutes to re-heat in a hot oven, and, as I say, the texture is lovely.


So, all in all, this is a winner.


Tonight, two of my cousins were visiting. My cousins are both married in Edinburgh, so it was so lovely to see them here. We had this for dinner, and for dessert, we had Baked Alaska.




Baked Alaska is such an easy dessert to throw together, but a lovely end to a meal.

7 comments:

  1. This is making me hungry! I think I need a recipe for Baked Alaska, too.

    By the way, thanks for visiting my blog today. And don't be too hard on yourself about being late. I have always been a very organized person so I do have a head start. Just take baby steps towards getting out of the house on time. Pick something small to work on and go from there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!! I am hungry now!! I love baked alaska, mmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those veggies look so beautiful all together, YUM!

    I've never tried baked Alaska, it really is easy? It's very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, is that ever lovely...I will have to give it a try this week. I know it will be a hit. The veggies do look so pretty and healthy and tasty. I have to ditto what Kristin said, I would love to have the Baked Alaska recipe. I know that we Americans should know how to make this, but it looks like we don't. So tell us how you did it.

    Oh, and P.S. glad you caught that my "you know what" warning was just for you.
    Much Love,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad I found your blog (Raising Homemakers link up) I'm in need of recipes and this looks fabulous!!! Just one question (pardon my ignorance, I'm new to homemaking and cooking) how long do you cook this and at what temp??
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sarah, lovely to 'meet' you!
    The chicken thighs probably take 30-40 mins at about 180C....what's that in Farenheit....just checked - 350-360F.
    The potatoes definitely need par-boiling, otherwise you end up with potatoes with a hard middle. Red onion is lovely, but you can use whatever you have on hand.
    Happy cooking!
    Love, Anne x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails