Me: No, darling, not today.
CS: So why are you tidying the house?
Me: Gulp. Looking slightly aghast.... Do I only tidy the house if Granny's coming over?
CS: Well..... yes.
Really??!! Can this be true? I think about it, and come to the conclusion that I have 3 options.
1. Stop tidying the house the day Granny is coming over.
2. Start tidying the house much more often than just when Granny is coming over.
3. Tell poor Granny that this is the impression she's giving our kids - that she must have a tidy house before her when she comes to visit.
The problems with the above options:
1. If I don't tidy the house when Granny is coming......well, you know.
2. This is just not an option.
3. 'Poor' Granny would be delighted that she has this effect on me. And she would hope this feeling of a need to tidy the house would rub off on the youngsters.
Maybe Option 4 is my only choice.
4. Leave things as they are, hoping that
a) Granny will not come over too seldom. The house wouldn't cope.
b) Granny will not start coming over too often.. I wouldn't cope.