9/09/2010

The Cemetery

Occasionally, I take a walk through our local graveyard. It moves me to tears....every single time.


There are so many young people. So many young men who were lost during the war. It's all so sad. 


One day, my grave will be there. 








This is my Granny and Grampa's gravestone.

My granny died the year before I was born, and I am named after her.

I was nine when my beloved Grampa, who lived with us, died. We all adored him, and were heartbroken when he passed away.

There is a Gaelic text written here:
"Aig Dia 's ro phriseil bas a naomh."
It's from Psalm 116, and it says, Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints.

A walk through the graveyard is always moving. It's so peaceful in there. The only sounds are of the wind and of the sea. 

'Teach us to number our days'. 

One day, every body in there will rise again, and every knee will bow before our Redeemer. That is a truly awesome thought. Each one of us must ask ourselves whether we'll bow before Him in adoration and love, or in terror and hatred.

It will be one or the other.

What a thought. 

4 comments:

  1. This photograph is also (as far as we know) my burial place... it is a solemn thought. I have always wanted to take a walk round it, especially since my mother in law passed away and was buried here, I have never had the chance. But like that when I have walked round other cemeteries, like the one where my grandparents are buried, I cannot but be moved to tears each time.

    What solemn questions and thoughts you have written there at the end, it really is a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't help but end up in tears in these places either. My granny and Shen are burried in the beautiful graveyard in Gress. And my other Shen and beautiful younger cousin over in Aiginsh.

    Hmmm, now I'm almost in tears just thinking about these people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is wonderful to have a cemetery where all your relatives are. Ours are spread around the country. It would be hard to find them. It is nice to be able to see and reflect upon your heritage. My prayer is that I and my husband can leave a Godly heritage for our children, and they can remember us that way. A thoughtful post.
    Much Love,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, I can sooo relate to this. We just visited a cemetery (and late 1800s schoolhouse) on our way home from a favorite country restaurant a few days ago. I find the cemeteries so peaceful and so filled with evidence of love. My husband and I were talking about how thought provoking it was, as we read the grave dates, that entire lives were born and lived out decades and decades before we were ever born. Incredible!
    Btw, I have some Scot in me as well. My paternal grandmother's maiden name was Wallace.
    Blessings,
    Toni

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails