8/03/2015

Fantastic Fun, Food, and Family



Last week, I had the pleasure of going to lunch with these two lovely ladies. I posted a photo of them on the Homeschool on the Croft Facebook page on the morning of the lunch, but as I couldn't find this photo ....



... I posted this one, taken at a wedding a couple of years ago.



I realised after I posted it, that Her Majesty takes her inspiration from these ladies.



See? 

She actually trawls my blog and facebook page, looking for photos of Mum and Auntie Jessie and then she copies their mode of dress. I like your thinking, Your Majesty: they are worth emulating.


Well, seeing we enjoyed our meal so much, and seeing I love to talk about food, and because I assume everyone in the world thinks like I think, I'm going to talk you through my lunch date, from the food point of view.

Here was the selection of starters:


My Mum had the fruit platter, and I didn't photograph it. I know it was lovely, and it looked gorgeous, but I can't get my head around going out to lunch and having a plate of fruit. Please don't get me wrong, I have nothing against fruit. I love it in its own place. But when I go out for a meal, I like to feel the calories on my fork, in my mouth, and sliding onto whichever of my spare tyres they decide to make their home.

It's all part of the experience. 

This is the starter Auntie Jessie and I had, and I have to say that it was simply perfection on a plate.


Oatmeal coated black pudding and apple bon bons, with maple pulled pork spring roll, and grain mustard sauce. 

It was a delight to eat. The mixtures of flavours and of textures = starter perfection.


The main course menu:




I never have chicken when eating out (I'm normally a fish person, unless a lamb dish tempts away from the fruit of the sea), but I really was tempted by the first choice on the menu.




In the end, I didn't have it, but Mum did. I did steal a couple of forkfuls, simply for research purposes and it was all scrumptious.


Auntie Jessie went for the deep fried haddock with home made chips.


She has had this before at Digby Chicks, and she always loves it when she has it.


I had this plateful of deliciousness: it's a fillet of hake on a bed of crushed new potatoes. Yes, fish is almost always my choice, and I was certainly not disappointed at my choice that day. The fish was delectable, and the combination of flavours and textures, especially the prawn toast, was amazing!



Yum!


When we'd finished these courses, the waitress asked whether we wished to see the Dessert Menu.

She had to ask??




All three of us were in agreement: we all went for the iced dime bar gateau.



A refreshing and tasty end to our meal. 



There was enough depth in the sweet to make me feel like I'd really had a pudding. Yet it was light and so didn't make us feel like we were uncomfortably full. Dime bar ice cream + meringue + fruitiness ... what was there not to love?


After lunch, we wandered in town, met folks on various street corners, had blethers and yarns with friends we hadn't seen for quite some time. We popped into various shops and bought bits and bobs that were needed. When all that was done, we headed to Marina's (my sister) for laughter and tea (neither were in short supply), and then onto Donna's (my sister in law (relatives are so useful ...) ) for more tea and more blethering. 

What a blessing these days are. Food, friends, family, unexpected meetings, laughter, and more food, family and friends: all these are such undeserved gifts that God in His providence has seen fit to give us. I hope, having been ready to enjoy the day so much, I was equally ready to give thanks for the day.

8 comments:

  1. The food sounds delicious and the day, even better!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you - I like to feel the calories on my fork too and I love the "tasting for research purposes" you are a woman after my own heart!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely post, many of the finer things rolled into one. Of course research was required, it would be rude not to...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....and one cannot be seen to be rude, can one? :p
      A x

      Delete
  4. Looks like you had a lovely day. Thanks for sharing the beautiful food pictures. That is NOT what supper or dessert look like at my house LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always enjoy your posts Anne; you always make me laugh and lift my heart up. Looks like a delightful day and such fun with family. Love hearing the tidbits of what you are up to.
    Love and blessings,

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails