9/05/2012

Great Discoveries for a Homeschooler - Study Guides!


One of the best discoveries us homeschooling mums can make is materials that have been published along with ready-made study questions. 

Here are just some of our ready-made-by-the-publishers-study-guide-included stuff!

We are using Economics for Everybody from Ligonier Ministries.


This is what the blurb says:


Everybody talks about it. The news is full of it. But most Christians know very little about it. Economics: it’s everywhere, influencing everything, yet so rarely understood.
Economics for Everybody seeks to remedy that through an insightful and entertaining exploration of the principles, practices, and consequences of economics. Thoroughly unconventional, it links entrepreneurship with lemonade, cartoons with markets, and Charlie Chaplin with supply and demand. It’s funny, clever, profound and instructive.
If you want to know why economics is so important to understand, this is the series for you. In our day and age, it’s a message every Christian needs to hear.


The printed workbook comes with information on each lecture; appropriate Bible readings; copious lecture notes; and ...


a selection of questions: multiple choice, Short Answers and longer Discussion Questions.

I'm hoping we'll come across thoughts that provoke us to dig more deeply to really know what we think; that send us to Scripture to really know what it says; and thoughts even that we disagree with. Disagreeing with what confronts us normally forces us to question why we think what we think. 

If there is anything I'd love for my kids to be able to do it's to think

~       ~       ~

This set of DVDs called Reformation Profiles is not expensive at all. We were able to download the DVDs and the Study Guide, and so we did not even incur postage costs..... always a bonus when you're buying from Across the Pond.


The site's summary says:

People new to Reformed theology may wonder just what it was about a five-hundred-year-old historical movement that affects our thinking so much today. So join Dr. Stephen Nichols for an inviting, approachable take on “Reformation 101,” as he explores the events of the Protestant Reformation from the perspective of important figures from each of four key countries in this new seven-part teaching series. More than a history lesson, Dr. Nichols helps believers understand why the Reformation mattered then and matters now.

We've done the first couple of lectures, and so far, we are enjoying this series. The best of this type of situation is that you can use the same questions but have different expectations from the different age groups. I may ask for a detailed written answer from one of the older ones, but simply sit and talk about the answer with the Wee Guy.

Perfect!

~      ~      ~

One more.


These books - the Crown and Covenant series - are great historical fiction books, but when I bought them online, I realised there was the added bonus of ...

a downloadable Study Guide.

Have you made discoveries like these?

What are some of the discoveries you homeschoolers have made that have made life easier for you? 

Spill the Beans!

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! What age would benefit from the first two?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well of course, you know I would always say the best discovery of all of my home schooling years was the Mystery of History. I am sad that her volume 4 will not be out by the time I am finished, unless of course I can talk my son into not going to college for one more year and letting me teach him next year. :)
    I do think the best history is the Renaissance and the Reformation for a concise look at the movers and shakers who have changed our worlds. The other one that I use and have used for all six, is The Seven Men Who Rule the World From the Grave by David Breese. It is still in print and you can buy it from Amazon. I was surprised.
    As I close these years of my home school days, I should write out what worked for us and what didn't.
    Sorry I wrote so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, don't ever be sorry for writing too much! Are you kidding!!

      We began Mystory of History last year, and we're enjoying it too. I think the timeline itself has given us such 'new eyes' when looking at history. It's great.
      I like the sound of that 'Seven Men' book.... I'm definitely going to look that one up. Ta x

      Delete
  3. Anne we love ALL of the same things!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh thanks for sharing I have been looking for a economics book for our homeschool this year and also I think my kids would enjoy the covenant series!! ~Love Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to look into these Crown and Covenant books - thank you for the link. Two of my husband's ancestors were martyred in Ayrshire and one is buried with Rev Peden.

    Jacqui

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow ... what a history in your descendants, Jacqui. Fascinating stuff... x

      Delete
  6. Yes, the Crown and Covenant series is great! We love the next trilogy as well; in fact, they are my favorite Bond books--the Faith and Freedom set! Includes American history as well as some Scottish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...heading to the Faith and Freedom set after C & C. We already have them, so can't wait ... x

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the great tips! I was surprised that Sproul wrote a book on economics, but it makes sense. We're supposed to be faithful in little, which is money, to be faithful in much. The Crown and Covenant books look amazing, can hardly wait to find them. I just recently found out my ancestors are SCOTTISH, not IRISH, so have much to learn.

    This year I am making a departure from learning and am teaching through Laura Ingalls Wilder books about homesteading in America, using a resource by Margie Gray called the Prairie Primer. It's a literature based unity study guide book.

    I'll be blogging through the adventures at mommamindyprairieprimer.wordpress.com. Of course, you live what I'll be studying....sigh....

    mommamindy.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will head over to see how you are getting on. I *love* the thought of teaching in this way, and *especially* teaching through Laura's books. We finished reading them aloud last year ... I was bowled over by them! I absolutely loved them, and can see quite easily, how there is a whole 'curriculum' of learning in them. Hope you have a great time with them! x

      Delete
  8. I happened to think...we just started the course "Into the Amazon," put out by Vision Forum. They have some fabulous courses with study guides that are great! Some other ones are "The History of Christianity and Western Civilization," and "D-Day and the Providence of God," as well as "Law and Government." The world-view and theology you get from these courses is priceless. Find them at www.visionforum.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, fiddlefever, I have seen some of those and had them on my wishlist for some time. The problem with VF is that it's nigh impossible to get them to send stuff outside the US.

      Delete
  9. No beans to spill here, we haven't done study guides yet. I would like to thank you for posting about this though because I went over to learn about Mr. Bond and his books and we have selected the Mr. Pipes collection for our family. Thank you for shraing your great find. Sincerely, Mommy of two growing blessings & so much more!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails